As promised, here is a step-by-step picture tutorial of my Reciprocal Gradient nails from yesterday's post. Here is what the finished mani looks like:
For this look I used Zoya Dove and Orly Decoded, though I'm sure it would look great in a lot of other colours combinations too! Please excuse the the less-than-desirable lighting in the tutorial, it was nighttime and I had to use artificial light (I seriously need to make a lightbox) but I figured you'd rather have a funny-coloured tutorial than none at all!
1. Begin with a base coat, and paint your nails the lighter of the two colours you've chosen.
2. Sponge on a gradient, I use this method. (Skip to 2:10) Add a quick-drying top coat.
3. Place pieces of striping tape (or very thinly cut pieces of normal tape, if you have no striping tape and a lot of patience.)
4. Sponge on another gradient using the same method, but this time reverse the colours. So if your gradient was going light-to-dark before, now sponge on dark-to-light. You may have to go over this one a couple of times to completely cover the gradient underneath.
5. (not shown) Peel off the striping tape, and clean around your nails, first with q-tips and then with a makeup brush dipped in acetone.
6. Add a couple coats of your favourite quick-drying top coat for a nice smooth finish, and you're done!
How do you like it? Was it easy enough to understand? Will you be trying this? If you write a post about it, please link back to this post. If you do try it, email a link or a picture to email@example.com. I'd love to see! :)